Your Appointment | Detroit Abortion Clinic
- Arrive on time and be prepared to be at Scotsdale Women's Center for approximately 3 - 4 hours.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 2 hours before your appointment.
- Bring current photo I.D., nothing expired. If you have received your 24 hour consent information on line, you must bring the printed confirmation with you.
- The State of Michigan requires all minors (under 18 years) have parental consent or a judicial bypass.
- Payment in full is expected when you come in for your appointment. Financial assistance is available to low income women.
- All major credit cards are accepted.
- We DO NOT accept personal checks.
- Scotsdale Women's Center is located 13 blocks west of Southfield, or 6 blocks east of Evergreen on the south side of the street.
- You must have a driver with you to receive sedation.
- If anything prevents you from keeping your scheduled appointment CALL US. We are here to help you financially, emotionally, or any other way you need support. Just ASK!
- As a courtesy to your fellow patients limit companions to one person over 18.
- Children/infants should not be in our lobby.
Post-Op Instructions | Detroit Abortion Clinic
Medical complications are rare and you will return to normal very quickly.
Most women are able to return to work or school the following day. You should avoid heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for three days following your surgery.
Our staff is available to you anytime following your abortion. We encourage you to call during daytime hours (when your chart is available for review), if you have a question or concern you may call at anytime or come in after 10am Tuesday – Saturday. Follow-up appointments are required 3 weeks after a surgical procedure and 2 weeks after a medical procedure.
Feeling emotional after an abortion is common. Some women feel elated or relieved, while others feel sad. The best thing to do is to talk about how you feel with your partner or a good friend. If your feelings seem overwhelming, you may need more support. Call us and ask a staff member for referrals for further counseling or other support. You can also contact Exhale www.4exhale.org the after-abortion talk line for free.
Here are some things to keep in mind for the week or two after the abortion:
- You should avoid heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for 3 days.
- Because of the risk of infection, make sure you avoid sexual intercourse, douching, or inserting anything into the vagina for two weeks after the surgery.
- Bleeding after an abortion is normal. Bleeding can start and stop for 2 to 3 weeks. However, you should call us if your bleeding is heavier than what is described in the aftercare information.
- It is normal to have cramping after your abortion, take the medication provided to relieve them. Follow the written instructions for pain relief in your aftercare information.
- Pregnancy symptoms usually disappear within a day or two, except breast symptoms, which may last longer. If pregnancy symptoms are still present 72 hours after your procedure, please call the clinic.
- Most women feel well enough to return to work or school the following day.
- You should have your next menstrual period within 4-6 weeks.
- Again, please call us if you have any concerns or questions.
- In the rare event that you need additional care for your abortion, we encourage you to return to Scotsdale Women's Center. If you choose to go to another facility for your care, we are not able to cover the costs.
- If you choose to be sexually active, and do not want to become pregnant, you must choose a birth control method. Ovulation does occur before your next period and any unprotected sex could result in pregnancy.
- We want to make sure that everything is normal after the abortion. We ask that you come back to the clinic for a follow-up visit after your procedure. There is no fee charged for this visit.
Most can be answered/rectified by phone or a simple trip back to our facility . You may walk in any time after 10:00 AM Tuesday through Saturday should you have concerns that need to be addressed immediately.EMERGENCY CALLS may be made anytime, 24 hours a day. CALL: 313-538-2020